I am planning to write series of blog posts on what is diabetes , how do we get , prevention, treatment and so on . In this blog post lets see what is Type 2 diabetes and its consequences
Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 or adult on-set diabetes is a metabolic disorder that is characterized by hyperglycemia i.e. high blood sugar in the context of insulin resistance. Pictures worth more than words given below picture will explain difference between normal people and people with diabetes
Due to urbanization and fast moving world diabetic become epidemic due to following reasons
- Fast food / high sugar items accessibility at ease and cheap
- Lack of physical activity
- environmental and other economic factors
- Genetic i.e. family history
- Diabetes, heart disease and stroke cost $237 Billion in loss on national income during 2005 –2015 (WHO)
- 25% family income devotes to diabetic are for single diabetic family member
- Premature deaths +5 million / year
- diabetic patient dies every 6 sec while 2 new patients are diagnosed
- Accumulated lifetime cost of diabetes
- 20-30% – control & monitor
- 70-80% – Complications
- Medicines – ???
so based on above picture now you will understand the magnitude and public health crises we are facing .
How do we get diabetes?
- Change in standards of diagnosis[1997 ADA lowered the per se standard for diagnosing diabetes from a fasting blood glucose level of 140 mg/dL to 126 mg/dL]
- Insulin resistance
- too much deposit of white adipose tissue associated with obesity
- insufficient mass of functional beta cells
- gastric emptying
- Genetic family tree
in my next blog post we can see how do we get diabetes in detail.